Wednesday, November 17, 2010

MWMW Round Four

I can't believe it's already Wednesday again. Wednesdays have become one of my favorite days, for obvious reasons, but also because I get to feature amazing moms for MWMW. Nothing makes me happier than a good mom loving on her kiddos.

Well, today is a little bit different. I had a great MWMW mom lined up, and don't worry, I'll feature her next week, but due to the events of last night, I gotta switch it up and change my plan.

So here's what happened. On Monday I sent an e-mail to my family telling them about the concerts I have coming up. My family's awesome and they like to know when I'm doing stuff and they always support me. So on this list of upcoming concerts was listed a concert for the next day (yesterday). I was singing at 8:30 tonight in a concert hall at ASU and I was fairly certain that nobody would be able to make it because of the time of day, location, and short notice, and that was absolutely fine with me, but I sent it out anyway.

As time grew nearer to the concert, I was doing my hair and getting ready, and I got a sweet text from my mom telling me to break a leg. I responded thanks and didn't think a thing of it. I headed over to the concert hall, and was sitting down with C to relax before the show started and I hear C say "well looks who's here". I looked up and there were my parents and my big brother. My parents had driven 4 hours to hear me sing for about 2 minutes. I burst into tears, and then got about 100% more nervous because now there were people to impress!

We sat down, and enjoyed the first half of the concert together, and during intermission I left to go warm up. As I finished warming up, I made my way back to the hall to listen to the other performers, and as I walked in I saw my sweet mother in law standing in the back looking for a seat, because she had raced over after a meeting and was hoping she made it in time.

I showed her where to sit, but I stayed back and had a few moments to myself. As I looked at the back of the heads of the people I love, I was overcome with gratitude, love, and humility for the people in my life.

I often hear people complain about their parents, and I'm sure I would too if I had things to complain about, but the truth is that I think my parents are nearly perfect. I will never understand how I was so blessed to be their daughter. I also hear people talk negatively about their mothers in law, and that's another conversation that I just can't participate in. I have an incredible mother in law, and again, I don't know how I got so blessed.

So this week for MWMW I'm taking the liberty of extending it beyond just one mom, to a mom, a dad, and a mother in law who I want to be like some day.

My dad loves his children more than any father I know. He thinks we are all amazing, and he raised us to have self confidence, yet humility and trust in God. I never went a day living in their home that he didn't give me a compliment that made me smile.

My mom is the best woman I know. She would do anything for anyone, and she often does. Especially for her children. My mom took every opportunity to teach me important things that I still carry with me today. She was a mother who loved always, and taught in the moment, and who still gives me encouragement every single day.

My mother in law is so kind. She never speaks ill of anybody, and especially her children. She takes motherhood seriously, but still knows how to have so much fun. She knows what's going on in her family's lives and she is so supportive of her children and her children in law.

I hope to be parents like these 3 people some day. They're inspirations. And I really will never be able to explain how special it was to me to have you all at my concert last night. I love you all!

(Picture taken by a phone, in horrible lighting, at night, outside the recital hall, but it captured the moment!)

P.S. I do have a father in law, and he is equally as amazing, he just wasn't at the concert last night so I'll have to tell you about him later!


P.S.S. My brother Bryan (pictured above) deserves an enormous shout out for bringing my parents to the concert last night. He hates stuff like that and though there were times that I didn't know if he was going to make it or not, he suffered through and deserves a fist pump.

P.S.S.S. Isn't C cute? When he shows up in a tie and a carti, my heart melts. I love him.

P.S.P.S.P.S. This was way too long for me to go back and proof read it and check for errors, so if any of you actually make it to the bottom, please forgive any and all errors.