Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Weight Of My Heart

For the past few days I have been thinking about the difference between a full heart and a heavy heart. In my mind, a full heart means I am so full of love, joy, happiness, and my heart is just so full of blessings it could burst. A heavy heart means I have a lot going on that's weighing me down, perhaps things that are sad or hard, and that makes my heart heavy.

And then it dawned on me...for something to be heavy, it usually has to be full.

And so it is with our hearts. I've been feeling terribly sad for others lately. Especially those who I love and care for deeply who want children so badly, but can't have them. And it seems like the number of people I love who can't have children is ever growing, and that, for sure, makes my heart heavy. But it's heavy because my heart is so full of love and concern for them, and I don't think you can have one without the other.

So when your heart is feeling heavy, just remember that it's because you're the kind of person who doesn't just have a heavy heart, but a full heart. Full of love, compassion, the desire to serve and help others, and maybe the only way to lighten a heavy heart is to empty it out a little. Give some of that love to those around you. Share some of the compassion of your heart. And hopefully as we all gave some of our full heart to others, some of our heavy heart will be lightened.

The truth is that I think about YOU a lot. You the mother with a few kids who was just told she can't have any more. The mother with no children who wants them desperately. The mother who has had failed adoption attempts and doesn't know where to go from here. The mother who has had failed fertility treatment attempts and wants to give up. I think about you all the time. And my heart is heavy with the thought of your pain, because I know exactly how you feel. But I want you to know that my heart is heavy for you, and my heart is full because of you. I may not know you, but I care about each of you, and I know you can do it. I know it.

Empty some of your full heart on somebody today, and see if your heavy heart feels lighter. I'm going to.

Happy Tuesday.