Thursday, December 1, 2011

Traditions and a Birthday Wish

I am soooo excited to spend the holidays with this little guy this year. I have a feeling he will make everything mean so much more.

{Nolan with his reindeer antlers bringing in the season}

Yesterday was one of those days.

Nothing catastrophic or anything with eternal consequences happened, it was just a conglomeration of a bunch of small mishaps and it put me in a cranky mood.

I, as I far too often do, took it out on my husband.

I had a meeting to attend and so I left Nolan to be cared for by his daddy and I left the house feeling frustrated, gloomy, and so not in the Christmas spirit.

My meeting was rejuvenating and motivating and I had a lot of time to think on the bus ride home, so I decided to come home, change my attitude, show Collin all of my gratitude, and be a better wife.

I was going to do something sweet and considerate to show him how much he meant to me.
But guess what, he beat me to it. He's so awesome. When I got home I found this:

a note telling me about our family's 25 days of Christmas and to look, each morning, on the fireplace to find a new stocking every day filled with a new Christmas-themed activity for our family to do. I was sooo excited, but then I realized...wait...we don't have a fireplace. That's when I saw the magic.

Collin made us a fire place complete with a string to hang the stockings, Christmas lights, a log to burn, and awesome pictures of our son with sweet Christmas hats atop the mantle. And while I was seeing all of this for the first time, Collin was standing in the kitchen doing dishes.

My heart was so full of love, gratitude, and awe for the man I married. I'm so grateful for him in my life and so grateful to have him be my favorite part of everything. Especially the holidays. I think the Smith Family 25 Days of Christmas will be a new tradition for our family.

Speaking of traditions, we had our annual December 1st breakfast for dinner this morning, which means we had breakfast for breakfast because Collin will be at school til forever tonight.


I'm loving all of these traditions, the spirit of Christmas, forgiving hearts, and the love in the air. Welcome December, and welcome Christmas.

What? Longest blog post ever, you say? Well hold on to your britches folks because this blog post if fixin' to get even longer!

Today marks 24 years of having the world's best friend. Markee is incredible. She teaches me so much about patience, unconditional love, endurance, motherhood, forgiveness, and a good attitude. Mark, happy stinking birthday!!! I love you!

See Markee's 2008, 2009, and 2010 birthday post.

Wow. That was a lot for a Thursday!
Happy almost weekend!