Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mom


Over the weekend we took a couple days to celebrate my mom's birthday, which was Sunday. We did little things like plan her visit to Chicago, I tried to do special things like make sure she didn't do dishes on her birthday and insist that she eat the breakfast I made on her china and special silverware. Her sister and her nieces made the most delicious birthday dinner for her, and the night before her birthday, after all the children were tucked in to bed, fast asleep, we had a little girls night in honor of my mom.

I made lemon bars.
I made chocolate pizza.
And red velvet cake from a box with Ghiradelli chocolate mixed in the batter before baking.
We drank Martinelli's sparkling soda and played games.

We literally laughed until we cried and cried until we laughed. True story.

And this was all to celebrate the life of the most amazing woman I know. I can't imagine how painful having a birthday, or any celebration for that matter, must be after losing your husband only a few weeks before. It must have all felt so bitter sweet. But she, as she always does, handled it with grace and poise and we had such a wonderful time.


Happy Birthday, Mom.