Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Groupies

When I walked into church 2 Sundays ago, I had a strangely familiar feeling as I looked across the congregation and was hard-pressed to find a couple without children. The feeling I felt can't be described by just one word. I felt jealousy, anger, frustration, I questioned "why them", and I felt quite alone. Then I snapped out of it and realized that for the first time in 4 years I don't have to feel that anymore. I have a baby. But I was surprised at how quickly those feelings stirred within me.

In our wards in Arizona it was a lot like the ward here where it sure seemed like everybody else had kids but us. We were never in a ward long enough, or felt confident enough to start a group that was just for marrieds without kids. But in this new ward, we found out that they do have a group for people without kids. They've even extended it to single people and empty nesters. They get together once or twice a month, rotate who will host, and play games and eat treats. I think this is so brilliant and I really wish we would have known about, created, or been a part of something like this during our kid-less days.

What do you think about getting a group of other people like you together? Have any of you done this or been a part of something similar? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Happy Wednesday!!