Thursday, October 7, 2010

Matthew on Man Week

Meet my brother Matt and his family.
He's one of a kind.
He's tender-hearted, sweet, and kind,
yet if I were ever in danger because of another human being, I know he'd come to my rescue in a less than sweet and kind sort of way.
He has a knack for producing really cute children,
and he couldn't have married better.






He was adopted, and he totally got preferential treatment. :) Here's his story.

******************************************************************

My feelings on adoption.

When people find out that I am adopted it seems that they usually have a plethora of questions for me. Typically the first question is, do you know your birth mother? After that, questions range from when did you find out you were adopted? Do you ever wonder about how your life might have been? Other questions that don’t come to mind right now are asked also.

The answers to these questions are usually simple enough to answer and I’m not sure if it is out of respect or lack of interest that people normally stop after only a few. The way I feel is that I was lucky enough to be adopted, but I was even luckier to be adopted into the family that I was.

From my earliest remembrances I knew that I was adopted, my parents never kept it from me. However I was probably in high school before I ever realized what adoption actually meant. Now maybe I’m just dense, I don’t know. But I suppose that the reason it never dawned on me earlier was for the fact that I was never treated any different. In fact some claim that I got preferential treatment. Maybe that’s true, maybe not!!

To my way of thinking I am glad that a woman, for whatever reason, knew that she couldn’t care for me and gave me up for adoption. Having children of my own, I know that must have been a very difficult decision. I believe that adoption is a wonderful institution and I am so glad to have been a part of that. I am glad that I was adopted into such an awesome family. I am glad to know that I can be with them forever and that even though I am “store bought” they still love me unconditionally. I couldn’t have asked for better, and sometimes wonder why the Lord blessed me so much. I feel that what happened in the past can stay there and I never have really wondered or wished, it’s hard to see greener pastures when yours is so lush and beautiful.