Thursday, October 25, 2012

Mom in Chicago



One day while I was in Eagar my mom was in her bathroom getting ready for the day. She called my name and I went back there and this is what she said,

"Ash, don't get excited or anything because I'm still not sure, but...what if I went to Chicago with you when you go back home?"

Don't get excited or anything?! I about flipped my lid, for about 3,000 reasons, but here are the top 5:

1. I would have my mom's help on the plane with Nolan.
2. I could finally show my mom where I live and what I do.
3. My mom never flies anywhere, so this was huge!
4. Fall in Chicago is gorgeous!
5. I wouldn't have to say 'goodbye' to my mom so soon.

So as it turned out, it was okay to get excited because she came, and as you can see in the pictures we played hard, didn't care a bit about house work, and I had what was maybe the best 5 days of my life.

My mom saw:
Wrigley Field (A sacred edifice to our family) for the first time
her first sky scraper
Lake Michigan

My mom ate:
her first deep dish pizza
red velvet pancakes (I had the white chocolate, caramel, pretzel pancakes) hello Bongo Room
Indian food for the first time

My mom rode:
her first subway/el
in her first real taxi cab
her first city bus

We had the time of our lives. And to top it all off (not that I'm usually a supporter of this, so early in the season, but since my mom was in town it was PERFECT) Macy's started decorating for Christmas and it really was magical!

Mom, thanks for coming. You'll never know how much it meant!