Monday, November 21, 2011

Nolan 6-Months

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Dad Saints, or sometimes better known as a Mormon. One of my strongest beliefs is that Jesus Christ was sent by His Father, to Earth to perform the Atonement, which makes my life happy every single day. Sometimes that is a HUGE thing to comprehend. The fact that A Father would and could send His Son somewhere else, for the good of other people is no doubt the greatest miracle of all.

The other day I was really trying to wrap my brain around the Atonement. Really trying to comprehend it and incorporate it into my life in an even deeper way than I had before. But I just kept getting stuck on how big and amazing it is, and my small, earthly, mortal brain wasn't getting it. Just then little Nolan made noise in the other room. So I rushed in, took one look at him, and fell in love with his big eyes and rosy cheeks for the 1,000,000th time. Then it hit me.

Six months ago, Nolan's birth-mom, Makenzie made a similar decision as our Heavenly Father made, to send her son far away for the good of other people. She made the selfless decision for the good of Nolan, and it in turn was for the good of my little family. In that moment the Atonement became more real to me. A selfless act. A loving parent. Pain mixed with joy. The ultimate sacrifice. Miracle. I will never understand how Heavenly Father must have felt, watching His Son leave for Earth knowing full well what was to come. And I'll never understand how Makenzie felt, as we stood in the hospital, holding the child she had just born, as she walked away. But I do know that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can all be happy, and I do know that because of Makenzie's selfless decision, I've never been happier than I am right now.

These past 6 months with my little Nolan have been full of love, laughter, learning, growing, and full of happiness.

Today, on this Thanksgiving week, I am thankful for the Atonement of my Savior, Jesus Christ and for His Father, and my Heavenly Father for sending his Son. And today, on this Thanksgiving week, I am thankful for Makenzie, a beautiful, intelligent, hard-working, selfless, birth-mom, for sending Nolan to us.

Happy 6 Months little man.

And Happy Monday.

Photo by Tiffany Rebecca Photography (visit her facebook and go here for her website).