Monday, February 21, 2011

Adoption Chapter 2

I couldn't believe my eyes. I really couldn't. So I read it again...

"Hey! I read your message & looked at your pictures! I am a 19 year old, expecting mother of a baby boy..."

I was stunned. I stopped reading right there because I wanted to read the whole thing with C.

He was brushing his teeth and I was still on the phone, so I peeked my head into the bathroom and waved C to follow me. I non-verbally asked C to sit down in the computer chair and I tried to end my conversation with my mom as naturally and as non-conspicuously as possible.

Then we sat down and read the e-mail together.

It was full of really fun details, some vague but intriguing information about M, and at the end it said...

"I would love to get to know more about you guys and maybe you can be the perfect family for my baby boy! "

We were beyond words and we were shocked. The very first thing we did was pray. We prayed in gratitude, and we prayed for help to know what to do next. We really didn't want to scare her off by doing something outrageous, so we prayed for inspiration. And then we did what I think anybody in our situation would have done. We looked her up on facebook.

Her settings were private (smart girl) but we were able to see her picture, and a little bit about her. We noticed several things right off the bat;

The headband she wore in her picture....well I had almost the exact same one
Her list of favorite movies mirrored mine, in almost an eerie way
Her list of favorite activities were things C and I have loved to do together since we met
And she was beautiful!!!

We e-mailed her back.

A lot was said in that e-mail, but we tried not to say too much.

"We completely admire you for having the courage to consider adoption, and we would love to get to know you and answer any questions you might have."


We read, and reread that e-mail over and over and over. We edited it, and rephrased things, and finally just decided to push "send" at 9:57p.m. And then we went to bed, but we certainly didn't go to sleep.

In fact, we were up all night just giggling. We would laugh, and then we'd cry. We'd start dreaming, and then we'd stop ourselves because this was, after-all, just an e-mail from somebody who might be interested.
It was a long night but little did we know, it was a long night for M too. She wasn't sleeping either. And at 2:48 a.m. we got e-mail #2 from her.

E-mail #2 was filled with a lot of hope, a few more details about M and baby boy, and somewhere in there she said something that gave us hope and comfort. Maybe this was going to be our birth mom. Maybe this was going to be our baby.

"You are the only family I've e-mailed, you're the only couple that felt right."

We read her e-mail, giggled some more, and went back to bed at 3:00a.m....but we never went to sleep.