Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Q & A Week: Day 3

Good Wednesday morning!! Sometimes I feel like it takes me all the way until Wednesday to get my week started. Monday is usually a Sunday-recovery day. Sundays are long days with no naps for Nolan most of the time so Monday is for sure a get-back-in-the-groove-of-things day. And Tuesday, well Tuesday is my Monday and nobody wants to do anything on a Monday, so Tuesdays usually end up being blah. But Wednesdays, oh Wednesdays are the greatest! I generally get up earlier, have motivation to clean, organize, and on a really good Wednesday, I'll make a loaf of bread, and a pan of yummy rolls to accompany something delicious for dinner. Wednesday rocks. And so does home made bread, which brings me to Q & A Week: Day 3!





Gladly! As I've told a few of my friends who have asked recently, for the most part I make white bread around these parts. I usually prefer wheat, and wheat is certainly healthier, but this white bread recipe is so forgiving and I feel like I finally have the recipe down, so white bread it is up in here.

I got this recipe from my mom who said she's been making it for 40+ years, so it's tried and true!

6-6 1/2 cups flour
1/2 sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 cube melted butter
1 egg
2 cups hot water

bake at 400 for 10 minutes for rolls and 350 for 20-30 minutes (until brown) for bread

I start out by putting a whole envelope (the 3 little perforated squares) of yeast in a large cup with about 1/3 cup of hot water and a big spoon full of sugar. I stir it up and set it aside

Then I add 4 cups of flour and the rest of the ingredients (sugar, salt, butter, egg, and water) then I mix it all together, add the yeast mixture that should be big and puffy, and then I add the additional 2-2 1/2 cups of flour, or as much flour as it takes to mix the bowl clean.

This recipe is so giving. I have made rolls all touching each other in a glass pan, I've made little golf-ball sized rolls not touching each other on a cookie sheet, I've made bread, cinnamon rolls, and croissants out of it too. I love it! I let it raise twice if I have the time, but only letting is raise once has never been a problem.



I have made this by hand, in a Bosch, and right now I make it in my Kitchenaid. Like I say, this is super forgiving, and really yummy. I hope you all enjoy it!


Happy Wednesday!

***Every day this week I will be answering a question or two from you, the Spoiled Eggs Readers. Feel free to leave an additional question in any of the comment sections, or to send an e-mail to {myspoiledeggs@gmail .com}. Enjoy! :)